Remote Organizational Virus Scanning
The Internet Content Adaptation Protocol (ICAP) is a protocol specified in RFC 3507 that is used to pass CPU-intensive dedicated processes to external servers, thereby freeing up resources and standardizing the way in which new features are implemented. ICAP is commonly used to implement virus scanning.
Most Antivirus products are available as ICAP servers.
Raz-Lee Security has enhanced iSecurity Anti-Virus with the addition of the ICAP Client. Virus scans tend to be CPU-intensive because they scan millions of possible virus signatures. Using ICAP reduces the load that virus scanning can demand from IBM i servers by distributing the CPU-intensive part of virus scanning onto separate external ICAP servers. When iSecurity Antivirus intends to scan an object, with the addition of the ICAP Client, it passes the file to the ICAP server for processing. The file can be simultaneously scanned by multiple ICAP servers. Those servers send responses back to the iSecurity ICAP client clearing the object for use or flagging it as infected. Using ICAP ensures that your IBM i is always protected without a performance drop. Scan time is faster – by twenty times in some tests. The portion of the IBM i CPU that would have been used for virus scanning becomes available for other purposes.
The ICAP Client can communicate with any ICAP server.
ICAP Client Key Features
- ICAP server can support multiple systems and system types, providing standardized virus scanning
- Frees up IBM i CPU resources
- Flexibility in selecting an Anti-Virus provider (Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, Sophos etc.)
- Faster response times
- Solution to regulatory restrictions that prevent some organizations from directly connecting to the internet
iSecurity Anti-Virus has been enhanced to support the new ICAP Client.
ICAP, the Internet Content Adaptation Protocol specified in RFC 3507, is used to pass CPU-intensive dedicated processed to external servers. Using ICAP frees up resources and standardizes the way that new features are implemented.
Raz-Lee Security’s Anti-Virus module, part of our iSecurity suite, offers total protection for the iSeries against viruses, Trojan horses, and malicious code. The ICAP Client moves the processing onto external organizational servers. The scans can operate up to twenty times faster and run on multiple servers. It is compatible with Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, Sophos, and most other ICAP antivirus servers.
- Ensures that IBM i is always protected without a performance drop
- Virus scans can run up to twenty times faster
- Reduces load from anti-virus scanning
- Saves IBM i CPU resources that scanning would require and returns them to general use
- Integrates seamlessly with iSecurity Anti-Virus
- Uses industry-wide ICAP protocol, specified in RFC 3507
- Passes CPU-intensive dedicated processes to external servers
- Compatible with Symantec, McAfee, Kaspersky, Sophos, and most other ICAP anti-virus servers
- Communicates with multiple scanners concurrently, taking action if any of them spot apparent infections
- Works with multiple LPARS